• Ads are annoying, so get rid of them. Sign Up Now for $3

News My Phone Is Smarter Than Your $100k Education.

phone brain.jpg
In 30 seconds, we can access more information on the Internet, on the smart phone, than we ever had access to in all of elementary, high school, and even college.

With an exception to reading, writing, and basic arithmetic, I've learned more on the web, thanks to a genuine interest in knowledge, than what my Masters level education has taught me.

Me sitting in a geography class for three months only taught me that I hated almost every class in college and the Masters program. But this week I wanted to know where Antigua was, so I Googled it, and now I know exactly where we may fly for our honeymoon. I did that in 3-4 seconds. To top that off, I won't even forget where Antigua is because I learned about it independently and WANTED TO KNOW!

Do you really think that any hungover and unmotivated college trying-to-be-cool guy wants to know where Antigua is on a Friday morning during an 8am geography class?

Forcing students to learn about things they declare uninteresting causes information to be left unused and unrestrained. This is why fifth graders ARE smarter than us. If you let me study fifth grade work for a night, then I'll beat any brace faced dork with a bad haircut and a shirt picked out by their possibly milf mom.

So what if we ditched traditional schooling? Why don't we let kids stop attending when they're 14, pick a career to study for four years in a college like fashion, graduate at 18, and be instantly ready to work in the first year of adulthood?

None of this "finding myself" and "taking a semester off" (drop outs)? Why wait until we're 21+ to graduate college? Why spend all those years and money on classes we know we hate?

I think people need to learn on their own and colleges shouldn't force "requirements" upon people. I was a writing major. What good did four semesters of Spanish teach me? I don't write anything in Spanish and I curse at the phone when it says "prensa dos para Espanol."

People who learn on their own are hungry to know everything. They eat knowledge like Ethiopians slurp rice and breed.

And let's be honest here folks - common core is a fine idea to have everyone on the same page, but the curriculum that's been created is by far the worst I've seen in years. It's simply stupid.

But hey, this is what happens when your country thrives off the votes of the uneducated and the nonexistent.

Last edited:
P

pafjlh

I have to agree with you on this one. When we are in elementary school and high school its one thing to have required credits that individuals have to pass. I feel when someone goes to college the classes they take should be up to them and these are what they need to pass to graduate. I am with you on what good is studying to Spanish to a writing major. Also, why take more math classes unless it has something to do with what you are majoring in. But no colleges feel the need to have required classes like high schools do, and I don't think college should be that way. If we have to pay so much for it why can't we chose what we take when we go there.

I

IcyBC

I believe you have a valid point there! I am learning something new everyday online more than all those years I was in school. I don't mean this as a bad intention, but I have noticed that many people who never even finished high school are now using smart phone like a pro. They must have learnt it somewhere, and surely not in school.

J

Josie

Why 14? My oldest stopped going at 12 and my youngest only went to Kindergarten. We learn through life, no matter what it is. Because you're right, if you want to know, you'll learn.. if not, you won't. There is NO point in pushing kids through all those years of forced "learning" when most of it has absolutely zilch to do with who and what they'll become. Even without elementary and high school, you can still go to College/University if the path you've chosen requires it.

We should only learn that which we need and want. That will all come without being stuck behind a desk all day, hidden from the real world we're told it's preparing us for. Not to mention, we all learn differently and grades are bs. We're all smart.. we all know something someone else doesn't and have something to offer society. We just need to focus on our own strengths and drop the government's manufacturing of little worker bees. It's a joke.. they clearly know nothing of education.

D

dyanmarie25

You actually have a point. College may not teach everything you need to know about the world, but college has taught me to be more socially active, patient, and resilient. Through studying in college, I met a lot of interesting people, learned from their experiences, and gained a lot of great friends. Those are things that you would always be grateful for.

K

kim1984

I went to college and graduated, but never felt like I learned anything from the process. I did enough to get by, but I just never felt that passionate about it. Learning from textbooks and old professors rambling in lecture halls just never really connected with me. I prefer to learn from life experiences and actually getting out there and doing stuff, which isn't really conducive to college either. I totally get where you're coming from by just learning more online with a genuine thirst and interest for knowledge in certain areas.

C

Corzhens

When the internet got a universal acceptance, I already predicted that it will be a necessity particularly for the young people out there particularly the students. Now any information (provided it is present in the internet) is easily available and within reach as long as there is an internet connection to your phone. Isn't this the nirvana that oldsters used to dream of?

X

Xanthosh

Your argument's sound and all. The only problem I see that your alternative makes a lot of institutions to lose money, that's a problem. And since these institutions hold sway on the adult population, I don't see that there's a possibility to demolish the classic classroom. Of course, we can develop cyber-classrooms, but it'll complement the traditional ones, not entirely replace it
What motivates me to say that is that a screen lacks practicality.
And about your idea of giving jobs to 18 year olds, you can guess that those are teenage years, so there are risks in-borne in that age-group. Not all 18 year olds are crazy, and not all, conscientious.
For the time being, I'm OK with the schools. In the future, however, I'd like to see some ammendments.

C

Chris_A

I think that the amount of information we can access nowadays, be it from a smartphone or your desktop PC, is really enough to self-educate yourself to do just about anything. Which is really cool, mind you. All we need now is getting diplomas for being a self-taught expert in a certain field, and we won`t need schools or universities anymore.

M

missbishi

I think that the amount of information we can access nowadays, be it from a smartphone or your desktop PC, is really enough to self-educate yourself to do just about anything. Which is really cool, mind you. All we need now is getting diplomas for being a self-taught expert in a certain field, and we won`t need schools or universities anymore.

Good point, There's really no excuse for not knowing anything now we have instant access to information. Who needs university when you've got Google?

J

Josie

Good point, There's really no excuse for not knowing anything now we have instant access to information. Who needs university when you've got Google?

LOL the problem is all the false info out there. Google links to that too ;) If people would actually learn how to learn, then we're getting somewhere...

C

Chris_A

LOL the problem is all the false info out there. Google links to that too ;) If people would actually learn how to learn, then we're getting somewhere...

I think if someone would actually take their time and read through, at least, half of Wikipedia, they would definitely be as smart as any University Professor. We have free and unrestricted knowledge right at our fingertips. The future is now. :D

L

lamanlupa

Yes, knowledge is everywhere these days and more accessible than ever,unlike days gone by. Yes wikipedia can help you with your homework but it will never make you a lawyer or a doctor. Even if you know all the information in the world, without utilizing it with training and continuous practice. The knowledge that you gained from reading will just stagnate in your brain and rot there. Not benefiting anybody including yourself. Another thing, not all the information in the internet is current and correct. So, it's still a matter if you're going to trust them.

ATTENTION:
Dear Readers,
If big tech media can ban Donald Trump, then they can ban you! Please register here for your FREE account on My Daily Freedom and always stay updated with the day's best stories and craziest videos.

You can also sign up/upgrade your current account for $3 and see less ads and support independent media like us!!

Whatfinger

Sites We Like

America News Network

Members online

No members online now.

My Daily Freedom Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lars2030